Sunday, January 14, 2018

The One and Only by Janet Elliott Brown

There she stands with her back so stiff. She looks so small. Standing there with hands pressed to her sides. Fingers open wide letting it all flow through. Not just the things of truth but also the truth of lies. In the lies I hear the song playing for me. In the lies I hear the melody of the last instrument being put into its case. The silence is the lie because if you listened you would hear the long goodbye.

I am drowning in the sea of lies. Lies I made up for me alone. I believed my lies. Should I not? I made them up for me. I used to think the lies rolled off your tongue but it was me all along. I told myself so many things. How things once were but are not now.

The stories and the laughter and the sweetness as you say her name as she says yours. How do I walk around listening for the sound of the goodbye I could never stay.

There is something in me that knows what must be done. Its time for me to turn the page. Love has left the stage. No bowing to the grave. Just walk away. You've done it many times before. It is done. I no longer want to pretend that you didn't start the end. You did.

No comments:

Post a Comment