Sunday, January 14, 2018

Momentous Moments by Janet Elliott Brown

One defining moment in my life could only happen because of another defining moment. In school, I had a hard time when we moved here from Michigan in the 4th grade. I almost failed math and my handwriting was so bad that my teacher wouldn't put my paper on the board with everyone else's for Open House. I had really tried to improve on both of them, but barely passed with a D- that year. So, at the age of 9, I decided that I just was not smart. I eventually stopped trying to make 'good' grades. Instead, I skated by and passed every year and graduated early with not a bit of confidence. I knew I would fail the SATs, etc., so I went to business school instead of college. So, at age 9, that wasn't my best defining moment.

Later, in life, I figured out that I could ask questions and, and I could actually 'learn' anything. Although I thought I couldn't get into a real college, over the years I did do well. At about age 50, after succeeding at work, I took a job with a company that took IQs and testing seriously. Not knowing this beforehand, I showed up for work and spent the day 'testing'. They never mentioned my scores after that. A few months later, my boss told me the execs used to be in Mensa. She casually commented about my test scores being the second highest in the company. I told her that couldn't be right. She said it was true.

By that time in my life, I was in a pretty good place, but I couldn't help thinking how I had held myself back for my entire life - because of a wrong thought about myself. It might have been that being born into a really big family, no one actually saw me. Who knows.

I re-defined myself over the  next decade and my lightbulb moment showed me how important self esteem is to one's success in life. We truly are what we think we are. Think well.
So, in reality, there were several defining moments in that part of the story of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment